Here's what I came up with. It's simple and super quick.
- elastic (I got this awesome gold stuff from JoAnn's)
- needle and thread
- Wrap the elastic around your notebook from top to bottom, and tighten just a little so it has to stretch. Cut.
- Put the two ends together, and using a zigzag stitch, sew into a loop.
- Repeat steps one and two for the width of the notebook.
- Cross the seams of the two elastic loops together and sew diagonally through all the layers.
- Hand sew the button over the seams to cover them
- Put on your notebook and adjust to your liking.
That's it! It took me about 5 minutes to make, and that's my favorite kind of project!
I kind of wish the elastic was a little thinner so it doesn't get bunched up in the binding, but the sparkly gold color totally makes up for it!
UPDATE: I looked at my notebook this morning, and it was missing something. I happened to have some blue yarn next to me and I decided to work up this simple little loopy flower to add to the button. Much better!
Ch. 6, join into a loop with sl st (I found this to be a little tight to go around my button, so you might want to increase or decrease beginning chain based on the size of your button)
Round 1: *ch 8, sc into loop, repeat from * 11 more times (or as many times as number of petals you want), fasten off and weave in ends.