Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!

I had a cute scarf planned to show you today, but on Wednesday night, I got a phone call that my best friend's little sister had passed away, so all Valentine's Day crafts got tossed out the window. I've spent the last two days working my fingers off on two prayer shawls - one for her and one for her mom - to give to them by next Tuesday, the day of the memorial. Thank goodness for bulky yarn, large hooks, and a craft that helps you do something meaningful when you feel completely helpless. Words feel empty, and my best friend is still in California at the moment, so this is one way I can be there for her - by making something to wrap her in prayers of peace and hope.

I've never made a prayer shawl before, but I've been sucked into this book every time we go to the bookstore. Never thought a crochet book would make me cry, but this one does every time! This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard the news. They are turning out quite well, and I will show them to you when I've finished.

This event comes nearly two years to the day that my brother passed away. Both our families are very close - we're best friends, our moms are best friends, my best friend's sister was close friends with my step-sister for a while and she lived with my parents for a year while she was in high school - so it comes as both a shock and brings back a lot of bad memories from a few years ago. As we're in the trenches, I would appreciate your prayers for all involved. Many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment