Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween! Free Crochet Pumpkin Hat Pattern

So, today is one of my least favorite holidays. Now, don't get me wrong, I love all the candy and everything, but when I was in the 7th grade, I spent my Halloween getting fitted for a back brace. That kind of threw a shadow over the whole holiday for me, and it didn't help that I was never all that fond of dressing up in the first place.

Elijah takes after me in that respect - he does not like to dress up! I have made him tons of cute hats of his favorite characters, and he always pulls them off before I can even really get them on him. Oh well, I can't really blame him...I'm not a hat person either - love making them, hate wearing them. :)

I have a feeling that his aversion to dressing up will change soon, and I am fully aware that this is probably the last year that I will be able to get away with doing nothing for Halloween. Well, we're not doing nothing exactly. I have a plastic pumpkin for Elijah to paint tonight, and my husband is DJing at our church's Harvest Party. I thought about taking Elijah to the party for about half a second...then I thought about him rushing the stage screaming "Dada! Elijah song! Elijah do! No, Dada! Elijah play!"...and the mass amounts of kids that will be taking over our church, and Elijah not listening or staying close...and I decided "no thanks!".

Shameless plug - here's one of my husband's techno songs that he is playing tonight. Check him out Shintek9 on YouTube.


However, I felt I should do a little something for Halloween here on the blog. So, here is a pattern for a little pumpkin hat that I crocheted up a couple of years ago for a friend, but never wrote the pattern down. The pattern here is sized for 6-18 months. To change size, simply increase or decrease the number of stitches in the MC and the number of rounds you crochet.

Here are six patterns to help you resize this hat if you need to.


Materials:
  • I hook
  • Green, Orange and Brown Yarn - I used Vicki Howell's Sheep(ish) in Pumpkin(ish) (about a 3/4 skein), Chartreuse(ish) and Espresso (ish) (in very small amounts)
Hat:
With Orange
Round 1: In magic circle, 12dc, join to first dc (do not pull magic circle closed very tightly, we will be putting the stem in through the top circle first.

Round 2: ch 2 (counts as stitch throughout), dc in same stitch, 2dc in every stitch (24 stitches), join to beginning ch

Round 3: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next stitch, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (36 stitches), join

Round 4: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (48 stitches), join

Round 5-13: ch 2, dc in each stitch (48 stitches), join and change colors. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Leaves: (Make 2)
With Green
I used the "Scalloped Edge Leaf" from Crochet Bouquet, but here is a similar free leaf pattern that would work equally as well - Crochet Fall Leaf from Crochet Jewel.

Curly-Q:
With Green
Row 1: Ch. 23, 3 dc in 4th ch from hook, 3 dc in each ch across. Fasten off, weave in ends and twist into shape.

Sew the Curly-Q to the underside of one of the leaves. Sew the leaves to the hat.

Stem:
With Brown
Ch 10

Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across (9 stitches), ch 1, turn.

Row 2-5: sc across, ch 1, turn

Row 6: sl st the top of bottom of the stem together. Fasten off and weave in ends, using one of the ends to tie the top together. Insert step into the hole at the top of the hat, pull the MC closed and sew to secure.
 
Note: Because this pattern contains a link to a pattern that is not my own, please use this pattern for personal use only. If you use your own leaf pattern, you may sell the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment