Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy Ramadan!

I've been back at work for a couple of weeks now. It's a great class, and I've had all but 2 of the students before. I only had to learn two new names, and since this is the next level from the class I taught last quarter, we were able to jump right in. No getting to know you, no trying to figure out where each student is. Awesome!

Ramadan starts tomorrow (or today for some of my students) - it's based on the sighting of the moon, so there is some variation around the world. This means I'm going to have 6 very tired, hungry and thirsty students for the next 30 days. I have learned some interesting things about Ramadan the past few class periods.

1. It is an enjoyable season. My students all said they were looking forward to it.
2. It is to remind people about the plight of the poor.
3. If for some reason you are unable to fast during Ramadan (if you're sick, pregnant, work outside, or are travelling more than 49 miles from home, to name a few) you can make up those days sometime before Ramadan starts again the next year, or you can give a donation of $10 per day.

I'm sure I will learn even more over the next month.

In other news, today, I was told that some Saudi airplanes have mini mosques inside. That's cool. I wonder why American planes don't have little chapels, or more likely, little multi-religious places of worship (gotta be P.C., right?) on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment