Monday, September 16, 2013

Last Week of Summer

I know, I know...most of you are already deep into "Fall Mode", but for me (and most college instructors and college students at quarter schools), we are just now entering into the last week of summer. Next week, it's back to work for me!

As I look at the six and a half days stretched out in front of me, I'm trying to figure out what things I really want to get done while I still have the luxury of naptime. Today was bathroom day - I put together a space saver, cleaned and organized Elijah's bathroom, and put down new bath mats and cleaned our master bathroom. I'm also working on finishing up some crafty projects that have been laying around for days, months, and even years. Currently, I've got a baby blanket on my hook that I started before I was pregnant with Elijah. I was a little depressed at how long it was taking to get pregnant (10 months, in case you were wondering), and I started the blanket off in black. When I found out I was pregnant, I switched to green. I then added in yellow and orange. I am now currently working on the last dark green section to complete the blanket - only 20 more rows to go. I'm hoping to get it done this week. I'll be sure to post picture so you can see it when I'm done.

I also want to finish the pattern for my hooded infinity scarf, but since I don't have enough yarn to make another one to take pictures of while I'm making it, and I can't go to the craft store until next month (self-imposed), it will just have to wait.

I need to make a blocking box for the little snowflakes I've been making, which I'm hoping to turn into Christmas tree ornaments. I know, I make a big deal about it still being summer, but when you hand make Christmas gifts, you have to get an early start.

The house is pretty clean, but I would like to spend an evening with the carpet cleaner and see if I can't make our carpet beige again. Oh little boy, how you have covered our carpet in stains!

I am currently reading the book The Story of English, by Robert McCrum et al, which I find fascinating, but unless you are actually interested in languages and language change, and have at least a little knowledge of linguistics, I would not recommend. It's not difficult, but I can see how without at least basic background linguistics knowledge, it would be difficult to understand. I would like to finish this book in the next couple of days. I still have Elizabeth I by Margaret George to finish before the new quarter begins.

I also have to get ready for the quarter - syllabus tweaking and printing, finding the textbook, and general organization of class materials. I enjoy teaching the same class over and over because it is so much less work when you only have to prep a couple of things for each new quarter. I'm looking forward to meeting my new group of students!

I have a long-ish meeting  at work tomorrow (which includes an all-faculty meeting), and a one hour division meeting on Thursday. Wednesday night I have a meeting at church, so things are really ramping up during my final week of vacation. I'm ready to get back into the swing of things and get a real routine going, but I am sure going to miss naptime!

Now, I'm off to take a shower, walk the dog and get working on those 20 more rows!

Happy last week of summer!

Ps. Go Hawks! And good job 12th Man on breaking the crowd roar world record! What an awesome day in Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment